Weeks ago Steve and I visited the only gym we know of in Paris, a chain called Club Med Gym. They have something like 15 locations in Paris. We went to the gym nearest our apartment and had a tour. After about a week I decided to join. I trudged back to the gym one night after work with the magic four (passport with my visa, proof of residency – either a phone bill or an electricity bill, picture of myself, and bank information) in hand. These four things can get you almost anything you need in France. Anyway, I asked about a company discount and was told I can get one, but I have to buy the membership from work. So the next day my very nice French colleague took me to the employee perks office (I am sure there is a real French term for this, but I don’t know what it is). I was lucky my friend accompanied me because the woman who runs the office doesn’t speak much English. Anyway, I bought the membership (paying for the whole year up front, another thing the French don’t do – credit) and subsequently learned that we are able to buy wine and champagne from this perks office, at a good discount. That was for sure a very exciting discovery which I will definitely be taking advantage of.
I have made it to the gym four or five times now. The gym I go to is located in an old dance school so the rooms all resemble ballet studios. The rest is pretty much the same with weight machines and cardio machines. I will hopefully get to a class this weekend, which will be interesting since it will obviously be in French. One difference so far is the operating hours – the gyms do not open until 7:30 or 8am and most are closed (but not all) on Sundays.
No comments:
Post a Comment